Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Impressively Simple

I made this spectacular entree on a random weeknight, and immediately knew I would need to make this again. It is a perfect dish for company, because it's so easy to put together, but it's also elegant and classy. There aren't too many ingredients, which really allows the fresh flavors to shine through. I loved this dish!

Before I give you the recipe, I feel like I should give some life updates, too! There have been exciting changes in my life lately, and I figured my blog friends should be updated :) I left my full-time office job last week to go back to school! I taught elementary school after college, and decided to try the business world out when Joe and I moved to Chicago. After a year and a half in the business world, I've determined that I do belong in the classroom. So I'm headed back to college for some additional certification, and will be in school and doing some random part-time job for the next year. There have been some hiccups as I've sorted out the teaching certification, but I am so excited about getting back to teaching! During this upcoming year I'll have to see how less money and more free time affects my cooking and this blog, but I'm sure we'll all come out ok in the end!


Cod with Leeks and Tomatoes
from the Everyday Food Cookbook by Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients

- 2 medium leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced, rinsed well, and patted dry
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 12 oz)
- 4 cod fillets, each 6 to 8 oz and 3/4 to 1 inch thick

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a 9-by-13 inch baking dish, toss together the leeks, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cover with foil, and bake until the leeks just begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove the baking dish from the oven. Add the tomatoes, and toss to combine. Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper; place on top of the vegetables.

Cover the dish and bake until the fist is opaque throughout, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.


Notes:
- I used Tuna Steaks, because that's what I had around. It was good that way, although I think a more flakey white fish like cod would be even better.

- I had two large steaks that I cut into four pieces, but they were a little small. To serve to guests I would do a better job of having adequately sized pieces of fish.

- I served this with couscous, which was ideal for scooping up the tomato and leek goodness :)

1 comment:

suze said...

congrats on the new venture! i always thought you seemed perfect to teach kiddos anyway :).