Sunday, January 10, 2010

Portabella Pizzas

These portabella mushroom pizzas were an idea from a blog I really enjoy, Proud Italian Cook. She had posted them as a New Year's Eve party snack idea, but I thought they would also be perfect for a regular dinner. I made the pizzas with a salad and some slices of No Knead Bread... perfect dinner! This could easily have been a vegetarian dish, but I saw some chicken Italian sausage at whole foods that I couldn't resist.


This recipe was so easy! Just scrape the gills out of the mushrooms, and roast them under the broiler for about 5 minutes on each side. Them top with tomato sauce, sausage (pre-cooked in a skillet), spinach, and cheese... or whatever you want! So much flexibility. Portabellas are not the cheapest ingredient, but I'll keep an eye out for them at a decent price, because I'd love to make this again. It was so easy for a busy weeknight, but still felt special and slightly gourmet. Check out Proud Italian Cook for tons of other fresh and deliciously simple Italian recipes.

5 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Hey Erin, Thanks for the shout out!
I often make these for dinner too. They're very filling and so versatile, just like you said. Looks like yours turned out fantastic! Hope you're keeping warm, it's so cold tonight isn't it?
Hugs,
Marie

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! What a delicious idea. Those look really good!

Elle said...

Oh wow, those look so good! Totally making me hungry!

Darius T. Williams said...

LOL - totally love the addition of the meat! LOL

TKW said...

Those look wonderful! I'm definitely trying these!