Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

We are in the midst of summer party season, with holidays and weekend cookouts abounding. I decided to mark the beginning of my 27th year of life by having a party this year, and of course even a late-night, beer drinking party can't be done without tasty party snacks! I promised myself I would keep it simple, with bags of tortilla and pita chips. I made a regular hummus and a lemon basil version, using fresh herbs from my little "garden" out back. These two dips were a hit, served with the pita chips and fresh veggies. I knew I wanted salsa, and this vegetable filled version is quick and so much more flavorful than a jar of processed salsa from the grocery store.

I have been making this salsa since I set out on my own, and my mom made it for years before that. It's from the Colorado Collage cookbook, a great collection put out by the Junior League of Denver. I took it up a notch this time by grilling fresh corn, but it's also great with a simple bag of the frozen variety. You just toss together the fresh ingredients, let the flavors marry, then toss in fresh tomatoes right before serving. It's especially good later in the summer, when you can get local, in season corn and tomatoes. The salsa is amazing as a part of a Mexican spread, but is also great as part of any American cookout menu. It is rare to see a warm weather party at my house where this salsa doesn't make an appearance. Enjoy!



Black Bean and Corn Salsa

from Colorado Collage Cookbook
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
16 oz corn, fresh or frozen and defrosted
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
Combine all ingredients except the tomatoes. Cover and chill at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Just before serving, chop the tomatoes and fold into the corn and bean mixture. Adjust seasoning as needed, and serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Visit my site for Alaska Fishing Lodge Information said...

Wonderful colours. This is real food to make you happy. A very healthy recipe.