Sunday, August 24, 2008

Zucchini Bread Without Too Much Guilt

Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables of all time, and since it's in season right now we've seen a LOT of it in my kitchen lately. I find a way to mix it into pastas, I roast it, I add it to salads. And, of course, I bake it! I received a huge zucchini from my in laws on a recent trip to their house, and I knew this giant veggie was destined for dessert.

I didn't have a specific recipe saved for zucchini bread, so I went to the Internet to find the perfect combination. I knew one thing for sure, and that was that it had to be a slightly 'healthy' version of my favorite snack bread. Zucchini bread can be incredibly full of sugar and fat, so I wanted a lighter version that I could eat without too much guilt. This isn't the healthiest version around, especially with the added nuts and chocolate chips, but it's a great alternative for dessert. I didn't have two loaf pans to use, so I baked it up in a single 9x9 square pan. I showed my changes in pink. If you're looking for a moist, fresh tasting version of zucchini bread, look no further.


Cooking Light's Zucchini Bread
From allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
cooking spray


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place zucchini on several layers of paper towels, and cover with additional paper towel. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Set aside.

Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through baking powder) in a large bowl, and stir well; make a well in center of mixture. Combine zucchini, applesauce, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients (along with 1/2 cup walnuts), stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide batter evenly between 2 (71/2 x 3-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray (or one 9x9 inch square pan). Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.

5 comments:

suze said...

ben saw me reading your blog, and commented on the picture, "oh my god, that looks good. we should make that."

i think he was enamored with the chocolate chips :).

Darius T. Williams said...

LOL - it's shouldn't be guilty - it's a veggie, right? LOL - no matter how you cook it or what you add to it, it's a veggie...no need for guilt. LOL

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

Looks good. I haven't had zucchini bread in years!!!

Sarah said...

I was just wondering what I could make that is sweet tonight--looks like I found it!!

shanna said...

Um, YUM. I remember the first time someone made me a version of this, it was at a church potluck I think? I was smitten immediately.

PS: Glad to have found your blog, through your comment at Orangette. We Chicagoans should stick together! :)