Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Here comes fall...

Today was the first day of fall like weather here in Chicago. It was crisp and cool, and I almost wished I had a sweater as I was walking home from the train. As soon as the weather starts to change, I start dreaming off the types of food I'll be cooking in the upcoming season. I'm dying to turn my oven on for more baking, and I already have an extensive list of soups, roasts, and hearty side dishes ready to make. Is anyone else feeling this itch?

I guess I felt the itch a little early, because I actually made my first Fall dish yesterday, when the temperature was over 90 degrees. It was one of the hotter days I'd experienced this summer, but I decided my urge to make chili was stronger than my urge to keep the house cool. I could blame it on my brother in law for talking about chili this weekend, or I could blame it on Mizzou football starting back up (Go Tigers!). Either way, I couldn't fight the desire to have a warm bowl of Turkey Chili for dinner last night.

After a few previous experiences with chili recipes, I've gotten to the point where I just make it with my own ever-changing recipe. I let my mood and pantry be the guide, with lots of taste testing along the way. I'll give you an approximate recipe below. If you have any tips or secret ingredients to share, let me know!


First, I browned a pound of ground turkey, with a little chili powder and cumin. When it was cooked, I drained it and put the meat in a bowl until I was ready for it.

In my same dutch oven, I cooked one chopped onion and three chopped carrots until the onion was soft. Then I added 2 cans of chopped tomato, 3 Tbsp chili powder, 2 Tbsp cumin, 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper, and 2 cans of chicken stock.

Bring it to a boil, then turn down and add 1 can pinto beans, 1 can kidney beans, the turkey, frozen corn, and a can of tomato paste. At this point you can taste it and adjust the spices as necessary (pepper, salt if needed, more cumin/chili, oregeno, etc). Put the lid on and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Then, take the lid off, add 2 Tbsp brown sugar, and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 more minutes.

Top with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions.

5 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

Oh, I want to keep summer a little longer, so I am into ratatouilles and other summer treats - but weather in Paris is also reminding us fall is not too far away!

Darius T. Williams said...

Great recipe...but um, I'd have to go without the beans.

And yea, it was really cool here in Chicago. And this morning - even cooler. I don't have a sweater on at all - lol. I needed one.

Sarah said...

It's actually gotten warmer here in NYC since September hit, but I'm also for keeping the summer around a little longer.
Although, I am excited about the season's first chili :)

Nicole said...

It is so funny how you and a few other bloggers are talking about fall and cooler days... I think I eat the same year round. We don't have much in the way of seasons here! But tourist season is over! Ha ha!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Chili days in Chicago is a beautiful thing! I can't wait until the cooler weather is here to stay... sans snow of course!