Saturday, March 15, 2008

An Italian Treat

I love Cook's Illustrated. It's a magazine that really teaches you cooking skills, and I've learned a lot since I got my subscription a few months ago. I've been dying to make tiramisu for a few years now, so when I saw a recipe for it in Cook's Illustrated I knew I had to try it.

Still, something about tiramisu really intimidates me, so I saved the recipe and put it off longer. Last weekend, though, I was trying to determine a recipe to make for dessert when my in-laws came to dinner. I had the thought about tiramisu, but once again dismissed it. That is, I dismissed it until I saw an appropriatly timed post on Sugar & Spice, one of my favorite blogs for baking ideas.



It turned out to be a really easy recipe, and the results were delicious! I have no idea why I put this off so long, but I am glad I finally decided to try it. I will make this again, no doubt. The only things I did differently was to make half the recipe in an 8 x 8 pan, and to use Kahlua instead of run (Michelle's suggestion, and I happened to have Kahlua in my liquor cabinet). I've posted the original recipe below.



Tiramisu from Cook’s Illustrated

2-1/2 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature
1-1/2 Tablespoons instant espresso granules
9 tablespoons dark rum
6 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1-1/2 pounds mascarpone
3/4 cup cold heavy cream
14 ounces (42 to 60, depending on size) dried ladyfingers (savoiardi)
3-1/2 Tablespoons cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed
1/4 cup grated semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (optional)

1. Stir coffee, espresso, and 5 tablespoons rum in a wide bowl or baking dish until espresso dissolves; set aside.

2. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat yolks at low speed until just combined. Add sugar and salt and beat at medium-high speed until pale yellow, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula once or twice. Add remaining 4 tablespoons rum and beat at medium speed until just combined, 20 to 30 seconds; scrape bowl. Add mascarpone and beat at medium speed until no lumps remain, 30 to 45 seconds, scraping down bowl once or twice. Transfer mixture to large bowl and set aside.

3. In now-empty mixer bowl (no need to clean bowl), beat cream at medium speed until frothy, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Increase speed to high and continue to beat until cream holds stiff peaks, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes longer. Using rubber spatula, fold one-third of whipped cream into mascarpone mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Set mascarpone mixture aside.

4. Working one at a time, drop half of ladyfingers into coffee mixture, roll, remove and transfer to 13 by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. (Do not submerge ladyfingers in coffee mixture; entire process should take no longer than 2 to 3 seconds for each cookie.) Arrange soaked cookies in single layer in baking dish, breaking or trimming ladyfingers as needed to fit neatly into dish.

5. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers; use rubber spatula to spread mixture to sides and into corners of dish and smooth surface. Place 2 tablespoons cocoa in fine-mesh strainer and dust cocoa over mascarpone.

6. Repeat dipping and arrangement of ladyfingers; spread remaining mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers and dust with remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons cocoa. Wipe edges of dish with dry paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours. Sprnkle with grated chocolate, if using; cut into pieces and serve chilled.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Looks wonderful! I'm so glad that my post encouraged you to try it :)