Friday, February 15, 2008

Easy Risotto

This is a recipe my mom has made for years. It's from Sunset Magazine, which I've never even seen around their house, if that tells you how long she's been making this! It is a really solid recipe-- very hard to mess up. I have had arborio rice since I was last in Europe (October, too long ago!), so I decided the other night that I needed to work on using it up. So risotto it was!

Sad little side note-- I was supposed to make a beautiful roasted chicken this night, too. Too bad it was still totally frozen, because it was all the way at the back of the fridge. So, the risotto went with some chicken sausage (yum), and some beets (not the best recipe, so I won't share it).

Risotto Recipe

3 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup arborio rice
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
(I also added chopped fresh rosemary, because I had some to use up)

In a skillet, melt butter, then saute onions. Add rice and stir until opaque or faintly golden. Add broth and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered. Stir occasionally, at first, then frequently as liquid is absorbed. If needed, add extra broth 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in cheese just before serving.

Changes for other types of rice:
Regular long grain rice- 3 3/4 cup broth, 30 minutes
Brown rice- 5 cups broth, 1 hour 15 minutes

No comments: