Thursday, February 28, 2008

DIY Asian Takeout

I love Asian food... especially Thai. When we recently went exploring in the Asian neighborhood near our apartment (see post below), and I found some fun things at one of the grocery stores. This stuff was all so inexpensive, and i loved experimenting with putting the ingredients together. Basically, I bought noodles, dried shiitaki mushrooms, black bean and garlic sauce, and friend tofu. I had broccoli in my freezer at home, which seemed like an appropriate veggie to add. Then it was just a matter of figuring out how to put them together.

I started by rehydrating the mushrooms in warm water. I cut the tofu into small pieces, and marinated it in soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. When the mushrooms were back to their regular state, I added them to the marinade.

I cooked the noodles according to the directions on the package. Then I got out my wok, put a little oil in, and started stir frying. I drained the tofu and mushrooms, and threw them in the wok with the noodles and broccoli. One mistake-- I added the broccoli frozen, so it got mushy by the time it was hot. But otherwise I just mixed it up with the black bean garlic sauce. Altogether, it only took about 25 minutes to make, and it tasted just like one of the Thai noodle dishes I love to order. The best part is that I have more noodles, mushrooms, and sauce to use up, so I will be making a variation of this again very soon!

No comments: