Friday, February 1, 2008

Google Reader is the Best!


I recently discovered the greatness of Google Reader. It is a great way to keep track of great blog or recipe resources, and today was my first chance to really use it. I try really hard to not do much web surfing at work, but Google Reader allows me to check up on multiple sites without looking like too much of a slacker (at least that's what I tell myself!). I wanted to make something nice for dinner tonight, and planned to stop by the grocery store on my way home. So my goals were quick, simple, and not too many groceries to carry home. My answer: a Dinner Tonight recipe from Cooking Light.




Farfalle with Sausage, Cannellini Beans, and Spinach (adapted from Cooking Light, Nov. 2007)

Ingredients

8 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
12 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage (3 sausages)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I don't think you need it all)
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 ounce shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)

Preparation

Cook pasta according to package directions, in salted water. While pasta is cooking, prepare the 'sauce'.

Drain sun-dried tomatoes in a small sieve over a bowl, reserving 2 teaspoons oil; slice tomatoes. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sliced tomatoes, reserved 2 teaspoons tomato oil, onion, and sausage to pan; cook 10 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute. Add seasoning, pepper, and broth to pan. Stir in spinach; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until spinach is tender. Stir in pasta, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid (if needed), and beans. Sprinkle cheese over each serving.

Some Cooking Light recipes seem like really tiny servings, but this one really make the 6 servings as promised. That means leftovers for me :)

No comments: