Thursday, February 21, 2008

Time to go veg!

For Lent this year I decided to give up meat. The only exception was any meat that was already in my fridge, and by this week my freezer was emptying out. So I have started searching around for vegetarian recipes. While I will never give up meat completely, it has been fun to explore options for cooking without it. For the next few weeks there will be a number of vegetarian recipes in my blog. Since I have not made most of these before, some will be better than others...

This one was an in-between recipe. Not terrible, and it has potential to be much better. Even with the dressing doubled, it still seemed kind of dry. Feta is tasty, but a more moist cheese might help. I might add more tomatoes next time, too. Other ideas are welcome-- I don't just want to add a lot more dressing, because too much olive oil would be too fatty.


Recipe from Epicurious... click here.


Funny little side story--- My husband and I are big readers, and we both really enjoyed The Kite Runner. They mentioned naan (a type of bread) numerous times, so Joe and I were eager to try it. I recently discovered that they carry a couple varieties at Trader Joe's, so I had to buy some to try. It is a really tasty addition to any salad or soup dinner, and they are kept in the freezer, which makes them easy to have on demand. Try them out if you get a chance!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Try some soft goat cheese in place of the feta - it is a little more moist and has a great tangyness that would really liven up the lentils and couscous :)