Monday, January 7, 2008

I have some catching up to do!


Even though I just started this blog, I feel like I'm already behind! As I've played around in the kitchen for the last 6 months or so, I've taken pictures of various experiments. I have a lot of photos and recipes I want to post, and I want to try to get them up before I do much new stuff. I'll show you sushi first, since it doesn't have much of a recipe, but there are fun pictures!

First, you need a good recipe for sushi rice. I don't have one yet :( I have now officially wrecked a pot making it from a previous recipe, so I'll be trying a new recipe next time. We buy special sushi rice, and you need sushi vinegar, too.

A fun thing about sushi is that you get to make it exactly how you want. The fillings can be whatever you like. We like salmon and tuna, bought raw from a high quality store (Whole Foods is a safe bet). Avocado, asparagus, and cucumber are some of our favorite veggies, and we love buying seafood or seaweed salad for inside the rolls, too. It is so fun to experiment with combinations, so we plan on doing this many more times.


Here's all the supplies we bought. We live right near a
really fun Asian neighborhood, and exploring their
neighborhood grocery stores was half the fun of sushi making.



I'm holding nori (the seaweed the rolls are
wrapped in) and sushi vinegar.



The veggies and fish are all ready to go.


My first attempt at a roll.



Joe tried one with the rice on the outside (a much trickier technique!)
Are you getting hungry yet? I know I was!

This is some of the final product. It was so tasty!

No comments: