Sunday, January 6, 2008

New Le Creuset... time for stew!

I have been wanting a Le Creuset dutch oven for a while, and found one today at TJ Maxx. It was a great price, so I couldn't pass it up! I was already planning to make a seafood stew for dinner tonight, so this was a perfect chance to test it out. Results: great stew, great cookware, and a very full stomach :)



My beautiful new dutch oven!


The final product.



Mediterranean Seafood Stew (adapted from Taste of Home Cookbook)

1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 28 oz can tomatoes (I got whole and chopped them myself, but you could buy diced, too)
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup clam juice
1/3 cup white wine, or extra clam juice
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 lb shrimp
1/2 lb bay scallops
(called for 1 lb orange roughy or red snapper-- I couldn't find it at Whole foods, so I did extra shrimp)
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
(I added some French pistu, from a previous Barefoot Contessa recipe. It's like a pesto w/ tomato paste, and I added about 1 1/2 tbsp.)

1.) In a dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until tender. Add tomatoes, lemon zest, and pepper flakes; cook and stir for 2 minutes.

2.) Add clam juice, wine/other clam juice, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

3.) Add the seafood and parsley. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Eat and enjoy!

** I thought the shrimp was kind of tough-- not sure if it was the cooking time, or the type I bought. I will play around with the seafood element next time, to try to improve it.

No comments: