Saturday, January 26, 2008

Must-Have Mexican Side Dish

A few months ago I was hosting a Mexican fiesta for about 10 friends. That night I made a ton of enchiladas, and I didn't want to just serve rice out of a box. I asked for suggestions on a cooking message board that I frequent, and someone suggested this recipe. They had found it on www.allrecipes.com. It tastes just like Mexican rice you would find at a restaurant, and I find myself using it frequently as a side for any Mexican food I make. The original recipe is huge, so on an normal night I just make half, which is still 4 to 6 servings. This picture also shows Chile Relleno stuffed Chicken, which was a lot of work without great results. It wasn't terrible, but it was not good enough to be worth the effort it took to make. And I know, green beans are a weird veggie with Mexican food, but we had them in the fridge and needed to use them up. I just steamed them and then put some of the rosemary garlic salt on top... yum!

Mexican Rice

  • 6 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 cups rice
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup tomato sauce (or a little less for dryer rice)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
Heat the oil in saucepan, add rice. Stir until puffed and golden. Sprinkle w/ garlic salt and cumin.

Stir in onion, and cook until tender. Add tomato sauce and chicken broth.

Boil, then reduce to low and cover. Cook for 20-25 mins.

So easy, huh? Enjoy!

No comments: