Sunday, January 13, 2008

What did I cook with before this?

Sorry for the blurry picture, but this is the amazing salt.


When I was visiting my parents last fall, my mom gave me the recipe for this amazing salt. It's from the French Farmhouse Cookbook by Susan Herman Loomis. I don't have the cookbook, but my mom really enjoys using it. So I got the salt recipe for her, and made it before Christmas Day so that I could use it when I roasted a chicken for Christmas dinner. It is so amazing, and now I find myself using it at least once a day. I sprinkle some on my meat, put it with steamed veggies, and mix it with any savory dish that calls for salt. I wish I could have you smell it on the blog, because then you would understand how great it is! Last night I roasted a chicken with the salt, as the French Farmhouse Cookbook recommends, and it was delicious! So here is the salt recipe that everyone should use...


Lemon-Rosemary Salt

Makes 1 cup

3 cloves garlic, 2 cut in half, green stem removed (divided use)

1 cup coarse sea salt or kosher salt

zest of 2 lemons, minced

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mince 2 of the garlic cloves and reserve the remaining one.

Place everything but the reserved garlic clove in a food processor and pulse a few times until the salt is slightly ground and the ingredients combined. Pour the salt mixture into a jar, push the remaining garlic clove into the salt and cover. This salt will keep at least 3 months if kept airtight.

The chicken dinner, complete with garlic and cheese mashed potatoes, stuffing, and salad.


Since my parents live in Europe, they can get some high quality cooking supplies for much cheaper than in the US. For a "stocking stuff" this Christmas my mom gave me this salt... approximately 3 lbs worth! I don't think I'll run out anytime soon...



And in case you want to roast a chicken with the salt, here's that recipe, too.

Roast Chicken with Rosemary Salt
(from French Farmhouse Cookbook, with notes from my mom)

This recipe calls for a 3.5 to 4 lb chicken. I would stick with 3 - 3.5 pounds and do two smaller ones rather than going too big. I find the taste is better that way than if you get one that's too big.

1 chicken (3.5 to 4 lbs) with giblets ( I don't get giblets here and it comes out just fine.
3/5 teaspoons lemon roseamry salt
1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 450. Remove giblets from cavity. Rinse chicken and pat dry (remove any excess fat so it doesn't smoke too much). Season the cavity with 2 teaspoons of lemon salt, squeeze the juice of the lemon half inside, and place the squeezed lemon rind inside the cavity with the giblets (if using them). Truss the chicken.

Rub chicken all over with olive oil. Place in roasting pan and roast until chicken is golden and juices runs golden from thigh joint when pierced with a fork (this is the hard part - to get it cooked but not over cooked.) She says about an hour. I cook mine at 400 so it doens't get too smoky in the kitchen and leave it in for 1 hour and 20 mins.

Remove chicken from oven and sprinkle bresat side with 1 tsp. remaining salt. Turn chicken onto breast with feet end slightly higer than head end ( this alwasys confuses me!) sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp. slat. Let chicken rest for 20-40 mins. (that part is important - it will continue to cook a little and the juices will go back into the meat.)


She says to take the chicken out of the pan and then heat the juices over med. high heat scraping up brown bits. If there's not much juice she says you can add 1/2 cup water to the juices. I never do this but it's a good idea. I don't have a roasting pan that can go on the stove top. If you do, try it maybe but it's ok without it.


No comments: