English Muffin Bread
from "The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook"
- Cornmeal for dusting the pans
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, and baking soda; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir the milk, water, sugar, and salt until just warm (120-130 degrees). Using a wooden spoon, stir milk mixture into flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Divide dough in half. (it will be very sticky). Place in prepared pans, and sprinkle the top with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 45 minutes). Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove bread from pans, and cool on wire racks.